Monday, July 7, 2008

First Broken Bone

Alexa's Baseball team made it to the State Finals and their first game was today at 1:30pm in Springville. It was SO HOT and I was sitting under an umbrella not out on the field in the scorching sun. She plays catcher and I can't even imagine how hot she was with all the extra gear on. Well it was the 2nd inning and we were down 7 to 1 playing a team from Payson. The batter came up to the plate and Alexa was thinking in her head "she is standing back too far, I better move back" but the pitcher had pitched and it was not a good pitch but the batter swung down really low to hit it and instead she hit Alexa's elbow at full swing.

I didn't see it happen (I miss alot of things trying to keep my eye on Alex and Max) but I saw her holding her elbow and someone had said the ball hit her so I thought she could shake it off. The umpire asked if she could still catch and she crouched down like she was going to but then she got up and went off the field. I went over to see her and she was crying. She is a tough kid so I knew it must hurt really bad. I looked at her elbow and it was pretty swollen and felt like there was fluid around it. We got her some ice and she sat there for a few minutes. I asked her if she was going to be OK or if we should leave and go to the Doctor. She said she wanted to go. A nurse came over and looked at it and said she would guess it was broken. We went to InstaCare in Springville and the X-Ray showed it broke in 3 places but he said it looked pretty clean so she shouldn't need surgery, just a cast. He put on a soft cast and we have to take her in on Wednesday (after the swelling goes down) for the hard cast, she has to wear it for 6 weeks.
The crappy thing is the girl that hit her got to take a base because the umpire called interference on Alexa...what a joke. Anyway the team dedicated the game to her and they ended up winning which is really surprising because they are a good team and they were way ahead when we left. That's what they get for hurting my kid I guess!!! That is too bad though because they will keep playing now and she obviously won't be able to!!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Poor Alexa!!! We love you and will send you our healing thoughts. Can't wait to sign your stinky cast!

Jen B. said...

I am almost in tears!!! What a sad story. Look at that cute girl still smiling:) She is such a sweetheart!! I am so sorry, let me know if I can bring in some "healing" ice cream or something!!

Jennifer said...

Owwww! I can't even imagine the pain she must have felt. Poor thing, that sucks! Let me know if she needs anything, maybe some kind of treat to make it feel better! :)

Erin said...

Poor Alexa!! I feel so bad that she has to be in a cast for nearly the rest of the summer!! Not fun.
Let me know if I can do anything, and I'll call and drop by sometime soon!

Brett said...

The ump actually made the correct call - catcher's obstruction (or interference):

Catcher's interference is called when the catcher physically hinders the batter's opportunity to legally swing at a pitched ball. This occurs most often when a catcher squats too close to home plate, so that the batter's bat touches the catcher's glove as the batter swings. This is most likely to happen on attempted steals where the catcher is anxious to catch the ball as soon as possible and may move his entire body or glove forward a bit.

In this case, play continues, and after continuous playing action ceases, the umpire will call time. The penalty here is that the batter is awarded first base, any runner attempting to steal is awarded that base, and all other runners advance only if forced. Additionally, the catcher is charged with an error. However, if the actual playing result is more advantageous than the penalty, the offense may elect to ignore the infraction (e.g., if the batter-runner reaches first safely and all other runners advance at least one base, catcher's interference is ignored by rule).

Reference Here

Anonymous said...

Leave it to Brett to set things straight :) Oh, that makes me so sad! We were so excited to come and cheer her on! We still will, I guess she will just be in the crowd with us :) Let us know if she needs anything at all. Poor girl!

Melissa said...

Who asked Brett anyway???
That looks like a long arm in her sling! Sorry about your elbow Lex. I guess since you can't continue your sports and activities in SF, you'll have to come live with us for 6 weeks!

Brett said...

Nobody asked Brett, but when Brett's wife Janean made a comment about the ump making the incorrect call, Brett felt it his duty, as the voice of reason, to set you people straight. ;)

And sorry about your arm Lexi Poo.

Tiesha said...

Ouch, poor thing that's not fun!

corrychronicles said...

That is so sad. She looks pretty tough in the pictures. I hope it heals good.

Janean said...

Oh my gosh! I just saw my husbands post about the ump! He definately has to correct people in things but I love him anyway. He wasn't meaning to be rude he did feel bad for Alexa but he just had to correct me mainly and of course let you know that the ump made the right call. Baseball is one of his favorite sports to watch so of course he knows everything about it. Sorry anyway!