Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Grandpa

It has been a year today that my Grandpa Hansen passed away. I miss him even though I didn't get to spend much time with him the last few years. He taught me some of the most important "life lessons" and without him I would be a totally different person today, I am sure of it!!
He had a heart attach and a stroke and then ended up with bone cancer and that is what took him. He is the first person in my immediate family to pass away so it was really hard for all of us to say Goodbye.
I am so glad that I have at least a picture of him with all my kids. I wish he was here to teach them the same great things that he taught me and my sisters but I guess it's my job to remember those lessons and teach them myself.
I have so many wonderful (and some just not that great) memories of all the things we used to do with Grandpa. He taught me how to play pool, mow lawns, paint, clean, how to "roast a weenie" sweep the floor (well that was Monica's lesson but we all took something away from that). He took us hiking and to see all the beautiful things in nature...he knew all the names of the trees and birds. You could see how much he appreciated the earth.

Some of the things he always used to say and best memories:
When playing pool..."shoot and holler"
Hope to shout
Cockeyed (this was his favorite, I think he always said it).
When mowing..."Don't run over the trash, bend down and pick it up", "those aren't staight lines"
He always said "carn" instead of corn
Whenever we wanted a day of to "be kids" he would let us know he never took a day off.
Hardees, Take Ten and 7-11 is where we always ate lunch.
The state capital of TN is Nashville not Knoxsville (we had a big fight about that one night when I was sleeping over at his house and he insisted that it was Knoxsville but I had just learned them all and knew it was Nashville...things got pretty ugly!!
He used to use the turning lane as his own personal lane and drive in it for several miles just cause he could, I guess.
He used to refer to us as boys...he would say "where do you boys want to go for lunch?"
His super tan arms from being in the sun all day and then when we went to Bear Lake he would roll up his pants to wade in the water and his legs would blind you cause they NEVER saw the sun.
How we had to clean the house from top to bottom before he came over for dinner (I mean wash walls and baseboards and closets and things there was no way he was going to see).
I am so thankful for him and I love him very much!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I miss grandpa! I can't believe it's been a year.