Saturday, August 9, 2008

Provo River Half Marathon

It was an early start...alarm went off at 4:30am, we had to get on the buses before 5:30am so we headed out. I snapped a lovely 'before' picture and don't we look really awake and excited to be up??
The race started at 6:30am and we had plenty of time to take our last bathroom breaks and wait for all the buses to get down the canyon so we could start. Rich came in first so there are no pictures of him but he did amazing...it only took him 1:23:46 that is a pace of 6:24 minutes per mile. He is INCREDIBLE!!! He placed 25th overall I was told there were 2400 runners so that is quite an accomplishment.
My sister Monica was next to come in at 2:06:41 with an average of 9:40 minutes per mile. She had a great run!! We both think since it wasn't time chipped that we should take a few minutes off our time because it takes a while to get going when there are SO many people on such a small road.
I had a pretty good race. My goal was to take less that 2 and 1/2 hours and I came in at 2:26:54 with an 11:13 minute per mile pace.

I only compete against myself...too bad I'm not more competitive!

It was a great course and the first 8 or 9 miles flew by (I was actually averaging around 10 minute miles until we got on flat ground). I did have to make one stop for a potty break and then when I got to mile 11 (each mile was marked) I thought "ok I can do this, two more miles" but we were winding in and out of businesses and you could see other runners ahead of you but you had no idea where the finish line was. There was no marker for mile 12 so I was really getting discouraged thinking I know I have run more than a mile by now and then all the sudden there were people lined up cheering and that gave me a little boost...where had they been the last 2 miles? I was a sweaty stinky pig and I had bloody toes when I was done but I DID IT!!!
Here is an 'after' picture, notice I'm the only one who looks like they just ran 13.1 miles...they had already recovered by time I finished!! It was a great race and a great accomplishment, now for the "REAL Marathon"

8 comments:

Tiesha said...

Good Job!! I wish I was motivated to even try! :o)

corrychronicles said...

Way to go guys, it was a great race, huh!

Melissa said...

I'm proud of you guys! Sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on. I'll be at the "real marathon" for sure! Way to go!

Amy said...

I agree with Melissa...so proud of you foolish runners for the accomplishment! That morning picture of you guys is frightening!

Jennifer said...

Good job. What an accomplishment, that is seriously awesome, I absolutely hate running, so I think it is just awesome (maybe a little crazy) that you guys did this! :) When is the marathon?

Chellie said...

Great Job! You did awesome. I'm running a 1/2 marathon in January and I've been such a slacker lately. Better get my butt in gear. Thanks for the motivation!!

Erin said...

I just have to tell you that I really admire you for running (cuz I hate running, and am so horrible at it)!! I think that is great that you and rich do so many races (even if it is just for the shirts! Haha:) Hats off to you!:)

Lynzi said...

Girl, you freaking ROCK! Way to get out there & run your butt off. That's so impressive!