Friday, June 26, 2009

Max's Swim Lessons

This was Max's first time in swimming lessons. I LOVE the teacher and think she is so great. I was worried that Max would not listen to her but she is really good at getting the kids to do what she wants them to do.
The first day he was really excited because he came with me to Alex's swim lessons and really wanted to get in the pool. He was a little nervous but was such a good boy. She started off telling them stories and showing them pictures. She had them pick out a little toy and she said that if they would put their eyes under water and take it out of her hand they could keep it. Max was really hesitant to put his face in the water but after a few tries he was doing fine. He did not want to open his eyes though but he was trying so hard that she gave him the toy for his effort.
The next day I came home from work to get him ready for lessons and he ran away from me when he saw his swim suit and did not was to put it on. He cried and finally I got him to put it on and stop crying but in the car he told me that it hurt to open his eyes in the water. I told him that he didn't have to and that they were just going to practice "blowing their bubbles" which he really liked. Well we got to the pool and he screamed and cried. The teachers are really good about just taking them and getting them calmed down. After a while he calmed down and did what he was supposed to. They went down the slide and I had to help him but he said he liked it.
I got smart the third day and told him that I had a surprise for him if he was a good boy in swim class and didn't cry. I went to the dollar store and stocked up on some "surprises" and he did GREAT!!!
Max learned so much from swim lessons and I am excited to see how well he will do next year. We are going to practice going under water and not being afraid to jump in the pool to someone when we are swimming this summer.
Here are the pictures from the last day of class. He didn't pass the level so he will be in the same class next year but I know he will do great!!!












He wouldn't open his eyes for the underwater picture, this is the best she could get!!!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

He did so good! It's so hard that first time, but it's so good for them. I love Debbie Wilkinson (I can tell that's where he is at by the fish on the steps.) She's nice, but firm and is SO good at getting kids to do what she wants them to. Way to go Max!

Jen B. said...

That is so cute! I love all the pic's!! Where did you take him, it sounds awesome!?!?!

Melissa said...

I thought Max loved the water. It doesn't seem like him to be afraid to just jump right in. That's good he's in lessons though!